Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Tribute to Blaine - my Brother-in-law

So a couple of weeks ago Nicole had a "birthday party" for Blaine, with all of the family on both sides. We released 3 dozen helium filled balloons in the air for Blaine to "have" from us. It was very surreal for me to watch those balloons go up to him. Sometimes I think I still grieve at his loss, mostly for Nicole and the kids, but I guess that I still get to "heal." Almost every time I see Utah Lake I think of Blaine. I believe that I think about him now more that he is gone. I think of Nicole and pray for her and her children often. I miss Blaine, but I am glad that I know where he is. I know that I will see him again someday. Nicole, always know you can count on Melanie and I to be there for you. We love you!

So here is a poem that I thought was fitting.

High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or eagle flew -
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
John Gillespie Magee, Jr


I don't know if this will work but I found a video of trees being planted in memory of Blaine, Ray and Les in Jerusalem. So we shall see.


2 comments:

Grandma Sony said...

Okay, so I am now shedding some much needed tears - thank you for sharing this on your blog - otherwise - we would never have known anything about your celebration - poem was awesome - tribute was too - and thanks for sharing the video! So thankful for the knowledge of where Blaine is and comfort that brings to all of those who loved him - that were left behind. As Jason said, "healing tears" - God bless!

Holly Wilson said...

Melanie; share with those of us who love you but don't know about this story.