Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

I'm so grateful that they assigned a day to celebrate the wonderful women we call Mothers. I've really been reflecting on the influence that the women in my life have been. Of course only one of them is my actual mother, but many women have been powerful influences on me. My mother taught me many things. The first thing that comes to mind is that we don't steal. When I was about 3 I went shopping with her at the Safeway's in Castle Dale. I was riding on the bottom of the cart (the old ones that had a really high basket so you could sit up straight underneath it). She had passed by the candy at the front of the store and I had seen a package of those wafer candies that were pastel colored. They had been broken open and were just sitting there. So as we were passing, I grabbed one of them and ate it without my mom knowing. Whenever she would stop, I would run off back to the candy and take a few more. I would run back to where she was, her hardly noticing that I had left. But when I wanted more, I decided to just take the whole package of the candy and came back and just went to town eating them. She noticed I had gone and come back, so she wondered what I was doing. She came over and bent down and said, "Oh honey, where did you get that from?" I told her that they were here and already open, so I was eating them. And she taught me that when we take things that aren't ours, and we haven't paid for it its stealing and not a good thing. So she took the candy from me and put it in the basket. I remember asking her what she was doing with it, and she said that we had to pay for it, because I had eaten a part of it. I remember feeling bad that I had done something wrong, but I never felt like she didn't love me. And every other time that I was getting into trouble, which was quite a few times, :D she always made me feel that no matter what I did, she would always love me. I have appreciated that my whole life. I'm so grateful for her. "I love you Mom!"

No comments: