Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Awful Truth About Cars

So if you live in the type of home that I grew up in you hate Ford, and you respect and love GM, Chevy, and as the years grew on Honda, and Toyota. If you marry the way I did (meaning loads of money in my bank account lol) ... you end up almost accepting whatever you can get your hands on for cheap. So over the years Melanie and I have had a few cars:
  1. '85 Chevy Z28 Camaro
  2. 91 Ford Tempo
  3. 89 Chevy Corsica
  4. 88 Buick LeSabre
  5. 97 BMW 740iL
  6. 02 Honda Accord
  7. 98 Saturn L
  8. 89 Honda Accord (borrowed for 6 months)
  9. 94 For Taurus (Borrowed for two months)
  10. 93 Subaru Legacy Wagon
  11. 90 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra
  12. 96 Honda Accord (Borrowed for two months)

Thank goodness for some really good family and friends because they let us borrow their cars graciously.

So you may be asking what the point of this blog is, well I am getting there. So in the first blog that I posted, I mentioned that I replaced the engine in our Subaru. There was one problem that I wasn't sure it would fix or not. That was; The car just doesn't like to be out in the rain without it's raincoat on. And seeing as we don't yet have the raincoat fitted properly, the car gave out on Friday. It worked really strongly until Melanie pulled up to a stop sign, then it gave up the ghost. So we towed it to the shop and it is currently getting worked on right now. We should be able to get it back today later on...I hope.

We have had the opportunity to drive many cars through this experience and no matter what I drive I somehow remain devoted to Chevy and GMC, which is funny, because in this group of cars I have had several of them that have nickel and dimed me where every nickel is $500 and every dime is $1000. So I rented a vehicle the other day so that I could get around anyway, and it happened to be a Ford Taurus, the brand new one. I was quite impressed, now mind you I haven't driven anything newer than 14 yrs old that I own for a really long time. So even though it was a Ford I have to admit it was a nice drive with good power in spite being front wheel drive. So the moral of the story is that maybe we should look at buying a new car because we have been through quite a few, though in all we have spent thousands of dollars less, by doing what we have done, except for the BMW. doh! But there is something to be said about the peace of mind that you can get in spite of the monthly payment for years. We do cherish our experiences though and appreciate all that we have learned.

No comments: