Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

I just wanted to pay a tribute to my dad. Over the last 3 years our relationship has been deeply enriched and we've been able to talk openly like never before. I'm so grateful to have him in my life. I didn't have a very positive relationship with him growing up but with the power of the atonement all things are possible! I now consider him a close friend and I'm so grateful that he's been willing to grow with me so that we could forgive each other and "re-start" our relationship. Sunday was his 66th Birthday and we were able to have him over that night for some brownies and ice-cream. We visited quite a while as a family and then Jason and Josh needed to get to bed but Dad and I talked until after midnight. It was seriously the best conversation I've ever had with him. We were both able to open up like we've never been able to before and talk about hard things w/o either of us getting offended. It was so healing. He's currently called as a service missionary for a seminary program in American Fork helping students with disabilities. His attitude about life and his countenance has just brightened so much. I'm so happy for him. Its been such an immense positive change! So Dad, if you ever read my blog, I want you to know how much I love you and thank you for being engaged in my life! xoxo

2 comments:

Bryan and Jessica said...

that's awesome that you and your dad have such a good relationship now! it probably is so nice to have him live so close to you guys! i don't think we got put back on your list. i hope i don't ever delete my list, cuz i don't know if i could ever get all the names back on there. anyways, good luck with it

Christi said...

Melanie-
How fun to hear from you!!! I love this blogging thing! It was so fun to hear about your family and your little guy is too cute! Congratulations on the baby girl..we're on the count down for our little guy- 9 more days! I love your blog!!!